8.10.07

One Year of Blogging


Today is the one year anniversary of starting my blog. SO much has happened since my very first blog post(which can be found here). I've just wrapped up my first summer of business. I've gone back to teaching full-time, just finished coaching a season of volleyball, and I'm in the midst of the first holiday season for Samantha Uphold Photography. I'm extremely tired, a little stressed, very excited, but most of all incredibly grateful. I never expected things to happen as quickly as they did, but I am so extremely happy and thankful for the course of events over the past year. Many families have welcomed me into their lives and homes. I've been able to document new life, weddings, baptisms, and numerous family moments.

Looking back on where I was a year ago, I really had no direction, no idea where my new dslr and photography classes would take me. Considering my first passion (teaching elementary school), I really am not surprised at all to find myself focusing on child portraiture. I have always had such a passion for working with children. Being around the innocence and joy of a child is perfection for me. There is nothing scripted about children. They are so raw and real - and that is exactly what I strive to capture. It really is hard to imagine that I didn't realize that this is the direction I wanted to take my photography. I may not have figured it out right away, but now I am completely content knowing I've found the right path.

The image below (from my latest session - I promise I'll get to that soon!), resonated so strongly with me. THIS is the path I want to take. Sure, I like nice, posed, family photos. But, those can happen anywhere. Photos like the ones below are what I want to make as an artist. I feel so lucky to be allowed to capture these raw, real, beautiful moments. Now, I can't lie and say this wasn't slightly posed. It was. :P Thanks to Mom and Dad for playing along with my idea. But what is not posed is the emotion - the smiles, the love, the laughter. And for that, I love these photos. "K" family, thank you so much for allowing me into your home for the second time. I had such a good time the other day. And, for being my included in my 1 year anniversary post AND helping me create two of my most favorite images to date, you'll be receiving a complimentary storyboard of the below images. I **really** hope you love them as much as I do.

(click to view larger)

Joey and Papa's tractor. This boy loves tractors like no other boy I know. John Deere Green! :)







The "K" Men. 3 generations.









Little Beau was soooo tired. I had never seen him fussy before, but the October heat (yeah, I know!! What is up with this weather?) had him tuckered out! We moved the session inside.



What make a fussy baby happy? Oh, maybe sticking a 24-70 L lens in his face? Who knew it would be that easy? lol (and yes, for all my photog friends, that was a shameless name drop - I LOVE my new lens!!)





The connection between these two is awesome.




Thank you, thank you, thank you "K" family!!!! Your gallery will be up soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great images and color!! congrats on a year!